Thursday, February 11, 2010

We Interupt This Program to Bring You the Olympics

[Disclaimer: I really didn't intend this to be a sports blog when I started it. But hey, it's winter in Chicago and I hibernate. What the hell else am I supposed to watch and talk about? I cannot help that my father is a man whose favorite book is the sports section of the newspaper and my mom used to take two weeks off of work just to watch the Olympics. See, it's genetic!]

As we approach the 2010 Winter Olympics, I am not ashamed to say I look forward to them every four (two if you count that the Summer & Winter games alternate) years. I know it's commercial as hell, and US media coverage sucks and is highly jingoistic (ice dancing instead of the US/Canada game - are you fucking kidding me?) but I'm suckered into it every time. This will be the first games that I own a DVR for, so I'll be able to watch what I want when I want and fast forward through Bob Costas and those touching tear jerky stories about the athletes they show instead of actual sport.


[Off Topic Aside: I am watching the Scum/Sharks game on the NHL network and the Red Wings' announcers make me want to put pointy pencils in my ears. I'd get more enjoyment if I muted it and blasted show tunes instead.]

While we're on the topic of the Olympics, I will state for the record I was rather torn about the Chicago 2016 bid. On one hand I had zero confidence that King Daley wasn't going to give all of his buddies bloated contracts for all of the prep work and I had little doubt it would all end up way over budget and they would have to raise the city sticker fee to $499 to pay for it all. Plus I had a real problem with the destruction of a perfectly good (and archetectualy revelant) hospital and bulldozing a beautiful public park for a temporary stadium. Still, how many people have an opportunity to go to one of these things much less have one in their backyard? I would have loved to have attended some events with my mom as she loves the Olympics and it would have made her happy. But sadly, I think the IOC made the correct decision in not awarding it to us. Have fun with the hookers and drug lords in Rio!

Well, I have a way getting off on a tangent. Anyway.

My main focus of these games will be (surprise, surprise) hockey. I am half heartedly rooting for the US team, but wouldn't be too upset if Canada wins. I guess it would make good copy being in Vancouver and all, but I'm really rooting for Toews, Keith and Seabrook to do well. And not get injured *burns offerings to whatever gods will listen*. I guess the only team I do not want to win is Russia primarily because of Alex Ovechkin and his gap toothed grin. I don't care that his mad skillz is the reason my fantasy hockey team isn't in the basement - he really irks me. I'll also be keeping tabs on women's hockey and I will be an unabashed supporter of the US team here. I haven't followed women's hockey much in recent years (not that it's ever on TV or anything) but I'm excited to get a good look at it again in the next two weeks.

I'll also watch the obligatory figure skating as it's all that will be on NBC anyway except when Lindsey Vonn skis (if she even is able to do so). It'll be rather nice that there really won't be any "big stars" this year - at least not any folks I really know as a very casual fan. Honestly, I watch figure skating more for making fun of the costumes and the schadenfreude when people fall on their ass. I can't help it - I get it from my mom. Which reminds me of my favorite figure skating moment of all time:



I give her mad props for popping right out and continuing her program. And helping the cameraman afterward. I think I would have stayed in there and not come out until everyone left the arena.

I'll try to catch some curling as I love the little brooms. I also want to watch some ski cross after hearing about it on NPR a few weeks back. It sounds like a cross between downhill skiing and roller derby and this is its debut in the Olympics. I won't watch the rest of the "freestyle" skiing and snowboarding as I don't neccessarily think it belongs in the Olympics. Don't get me wrong - those folks are way talented but it's a little too X-Games for me. What can I say, I'm a purist.

The opening ceremonies are tomorrow night and I'm a sucker for spectacle so I'll be sure to watch. I'll try to jot down some thoughts and perhaps post some snark about it afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment