Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Game 58: Hawks 4, North Stars 3 (SO) - Mel forgets what a hat trick is

I really wish I didn't have to be at work at 7am (and didn't have actual Important Job Responsibilities) because due to the snow last night (a whole foot - seriously wasn't *that* big of a deal) I could have easily scored tickets to the game at face value (I like to use a lot of parenthesis). My brother didn't get home until after 11:30 so I suppose it was the sensible move on my part. I almost pine for the days I'd be out drinking until 4am and open the bookstore the next morning at 9. Almost.

Anyway, onto the game. I don't know why the Stars have given us so much trouble this year - they really are a crap team (although somehow only 3 points out of the last playoff spot). There's always that one team that shouldn't give you issues but always does. The Stars are that team this year. After Kane's two goals in the first period against Marty "C-3P0" Turco I was hoping that someone would finally get a hat trick this season. I really need to see more of this:Please note Bobby Lou cowering in his net. That was a delicious moment I am proud to have witnessed in person. In any case, it was not to be last night. Nor would an easy win be possible either as the Stars tied the game at 3 with less than 5 minutes in regulation after Brouwer scored earlier in the period. Niemi was not at fault for any of the goals IMHO, as the turnovers in front of the net and spotty defense continues to make me twitch. The Stars got a PP awarded in OT after a weak call for OT on Keith for hooking. Niemi made a couple of big saves but kudos to Sopel for playing the entire PK and basically saving our arses. Both teams hit a post in the OT, so onto the shootout (boooo) we went. Neither team could be bothered to score, as I guess none of them wanted to dig out their cars. Finally in Round Five Versteeg! buried one past 3Po, proving that he does actually still play on this team. So, one more game before the Olympic break - Saturday versus Atlanta. I'm trying to see if I can score tickets, as I have nothing to do that night, but everything is outrageously expensive - like Jem is truly, truly, truly outrageously expensive.

Onto some (somewhat) related personal tidbits:

- I bit the bullet and put a deposit down to be on the waiting list for season tickets - 2 seats in the 300 level. As stated above, getting tickets now is next to impossible unless you want to sacrifice your first born. I got tickets to the four games we bought this season the day they went on sale. Folks on the waiting list do get a first crack on the partial season plans, so I'm hoping I'll be lucky to get one of those for next season. With my luck, by the time my name comes up Kane and Toews will be retired and the Hawks will be playing like back in the ABC line days.
- I'm going to buy tickets to the Rockford Ice Hogs (the Hawks AHL team) game on the 27th. It is "Taco Bell Blackhawks Night" (I fucking hate Taco Bell unless I'm drunk) and Brouwer, Fraser, TOFTBO, Niemi and Versteeg! will be there signing. Oh and Tommy Hawk and the Ice Girls will be there as well (barf). In any case, I haven't been to an AHL game in ages - I used to go to Wolves games frequently as a friend of mine's dad was a season ticket holder from their first inaugural season - and that Sunday is my birthday so it should be a fun way to spend the weekend. It'll probably just me and Amy going as none of my friends are really into sports enough to go to Rockford. Perhaps I could drag my brother away from the bar long enough for him to come with - we'll see.
- OxyClean got the majority of the blood off the jeans I spoiled on Saturday. This is not a paid commercial announcement. God love ya Billy Mays!

No comments:

Post a Comment