Monday, February 15, 2010

Game 61: Hawks 5, Blue Jackets 4 (SO) - Mel is not going to Cozumel for the break

Although I may go to Columbus for my "spring break" to see the Hawks play the Blue Jackets (I think this is a dumb name for a sports team) on March 25th. I haven't worked out the logistics yet, and I also have to figure out if we can afford it (small detail). Additionally, I'll just have to get over my extreme dislike of Ohio - that wedding several years ago while staying at the Youngstown Days Inn scarred me for life. You try to enjoy your stay when there's mold in the bathroom, hairs on your pillow, no internet and the guys a couple rooms down are mixing Meth in their bathtub. Last spring's trip to Cincinnati made me feel a little better about the Buckeye State, so I'm willing to give it another chance.

Anyway, back to the task on hand, I have only three words: Lather, Rinse, Repeat. Honestly if you switched the first and second periods from Saturday's game, Sunday was almost identical. I'm baffled why Q played Niemi for the fourth game in a row, and on the end of a back-to-back. He said he was playing the "hot hand." Uh, if Niemi's got a hot hand Whitney Houston, we have a problem. He hasn't been terrible - just average (read: Huet-like). I don't see the logic in sitting your supposed #1 Huet for a month - he last played on the 5th versus the 'Yotes and at best he'll play on 3/2 versus the Isle. Are they trying to shop Niemi? Is Huet hurt? Has Q been smoking something? I don't know but they've got two weeks to figure this out.

With Hossa, Sopel & Eager scratched and Madden on IR (insert wife & limo pictures joke here) our boys from Rockford - Bickell & Dowell - each had a goal, with Dowell getting the #3 star (he also had an assist on Bickell's tally). Makes me excited to see them on the 27th - note to self: buy tickets. The other highlights (lowlights?) was Kane getting Ovechkin'ed by Stralman and the resulting beat down by Brouwer:



My god, could the BJ announcers be any more whiney? Later in the period, Torres went inexplicably apeshit and tackled Sharp. Hey Banana-Phone - you might not want to forget what Sharp did to Lidstrom in last year's WCF. So of course, we went to OT and the Shootout (Booooo) and in a case of poetic justice, Kane and Brouwer scored, with Troy's goal being the winner. Enjoy the break boys - and those of you playing for medals, please come home intact.

Oh one last thing, only watched the first period really of yesterday's women's game between the US and China (I had to do laundry and token housework to avoid the wrath of my gf), but for every person who mocks women in sport, watch this:

Damn you NBC for not letting me embed this!

Holy. Shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment