Monday, February 1, 2010

Puck Nut

Seeing as my hockey obsession has reached critical mass proportions not seen since the Blackhawks' season of 1988-89 (the team of Larmer, Graham, Wilson, Manson, the rookie season of Roenick and of one Mr. Alain Chevrier), and I can't be arsed to do anything productive tonight, I decided to dig out my puck collection. I had forgotten I had started collecting them in the 90's, but found the one to the left in my old room at my parents a few weeks back. That was the first puck I ever received, and it is special for many reasons, mostly because it is from the last All Star Game in Chicago, at the old Stadium no less (*sniff*). My brother went to the game and bought me this - because even at the age of 12, he "knew people" and got tickets to the game. Little snot. Of course the game is most remembered for this:


God, I miss Wayne Messmer and the Stadium *wipes eyes* - moving on....

My goal was to collect pucks from all of the NHL cities. I started out pretty good:


I got the Vancouver puck when I visited there in I want to say, 1998. I vaguely remember also buying my brother a Cannucks jersey - I'll have to ask him about that and give him the proper shit for that. The Maple Leaf puck I got in 1999. While I was in Toronto, I went to the Hockey Hall of Fame - somewhere I'm sure I have pictures - I'll have to find them and scan them when I finally buy a scanner. While I was there I bought this:


I also bought the mini Blackhawks stick you see in the right picture. I keep meaning to bring it to a Hawks game when they have someone I like signing, but I'm afraid they'll confiscate it as contraband - I really don't have time to drive to Toronto and get another one. Sadly, that was as far as I got collecting NHL team pucks, but I do have a few other pucks:


I was obsessed with the US Women's Hockey team in 1998 - so much so I have a jersey and the Wheaties box somewhere with their gold medal picture on it. I actually got up at the crack of dawn and skipped my first class to see the Gold Medal game vs. Canada live. I have no shame - I had a thing for Cammi Granato. There, I said it :P


This puck commemorates the Wolves' first of two Turner Cup Championships. Of course now it is the Calder Cup, and the IHL exists no more. I also happened to be at the Calder Cup clinching game in 2002. Somewhere at my parents' are the thunder sticks we got at that game.

Last but not least:

I used to go the the Illini hockey club games when I went to school there from '94-'96. I loved the Saturday night games - they were held in a small ice arena with a capacity of 200-300 people max. They had this huge banner of speedskater Bonnie Blair hanging in the arena as Champaign is her hometown. Oh the traditions - this is where I first heard the "I want to be a Zamboni driver" song, saying "THANK YOU" after the "one minute remaining in the period" announcement, the seats were so close to the ice you could give the Zamboni driver a high five as he drove by if you were in the first row of the balcony. Good times. I should drive down sometime and see a game.


Speaking of Zamboni drivers, I would be remiss not to include this little guy on the left. Seeing as I'll be in St Louis this weekend to catch the Hawks vs. Blues game, I'll just have to start collecting again and get a Blues puck. If anyone wants to barter for pucks from your NHL team let me know - Amy makes yummy cookies I can send you!

Amy has announced that the office has a overwhelming smell of rubber now. Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. If you don't get a Blues puck at the game this weekend, let me know.I might have an extra one laying around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Hopefully I won't have spent all my money on booze before the game so I can get one at the arena.

    ReplyDelete