Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Calm Before the Storm

This should be an interesting weekend. But first, some business:

I'm pissed because the only men's hockey games I've been able to watch in its entirety in the medal round are the two Canada blowouts. The 2pm games are over before I get home from work. And since I get up at 5:30 (and at this point in my life I am worthless at work if I don't get at least 5 hours of sleep) I can see maybe the first two periods of the first late game if I have the energy. So all of the exciting games the past several days? Haven't seen them - I mean I missed Kopecky getting the GWG last night - that'll probably be the only worthwhile thing he does all year! And tomorrow *again* the US game is at 2pm. I'd stream it online, but they've been Big Brothering the internets at work lately, plus I have a 3:30 weekly meeting with the brain trust of the organization. Why do you hate me scheduling gods??

I am saddened that the US women lost to the Canadians today. You can't fault them for lack of effort - honestly if the Canadian goalie hadn't stood on her head and the D hadn't been blocking shots like their life depended on it, I think they would have won easy. I didn't watch the medal ceremony - I don't think I could have stood listening to all of those hosers singing. Hopefully. we'll get payback this weekend - I'm sure the men's team losing would hurt the Canadian psyche more anyway. The only good thing about DVRing the game was fast forwarding through Pierre "I stand on a stool so you can see my head over the boards" McGuire. How does that man have a job - he's more annoying that the bitch in front of you in the 10 items or less line with 22 items who thinks we're all dumb and can't count. Oh and the Canadian coach - she looks very scary and mean. Maybe that's why they win because she'll kick your ass if you don't.

So anyway this weekend...

I don't have anything really planned tomorrow except work and more hockey. It'd be nice if I could cut out early and see part of the US game, but that 3:30 meeting fucks me over every Friday. I love the fact that the folks who *don't* start work at 7 am every morning decided that was a great time for a meeting at the end of the week. I'm usually comatose and useless by 10. That's all I say about that because I like to keep work off the blog since you never know who reads this (I love my job! Seriously!)

Unfortunately my Saturday is going to get off to a crappy start because I have to go to the DMV to renew my driver's license. It expires on Sunday - I could have renewed it online but I have my old address on it and I have to get a new picture. Seriously. The last time I went I thought that they would use my previous photo on file and went unshowered and dressed like a hobo. Therefore I look like a serial killer on my license. So I will get up early on weekend to shower and look presentable (for me anyway) in order to make it to the DMV before 8am. After that task is completed, we'll be leaving for Rockford for the Ice Hogs game and Blackhawks autographs. I hope there's not a bazillion people in line. I also hope the US wins tomorrow because it's going to suck if they play for the bronze medal since I'll be missing it. Oops, I guess I should have thought of that before I decided to go to this game. I'll DVR the game regardless of who plays and try to sequester myself from the results the best I can.

Sunday is my birthday and I plan on doing nothing except watching the gold medal game. And maybe get dinner at a restaurant of my choosing. I used to try to get some folks together on my bday for drinks and other assorted fun, but I've lost interest in that since I've turned 30. Birthdays aren't a really big deal for me anymore - although I'll probably change my mind about that as I creep ever so closer to 40 (eek!). Does this make me a loser? Perhaps. But you totally get shit on with a winter birthday because your options are limited. I'm not going to have a pool party, thanks.

Ok, maybe this weekend isn't that exciting. But I hibernate in the winter and I'm a nerd so it's thrilling enough for me. So there :P

1 comment:

  1. Mine's on Monday. Happy birthday to us!

    I have hockey tickets for Saturday too (Buckeyes). I thought there would be enough time to get home before the Olympic game started, but then they pushed OSU's start back because it's senior night. Damn schedulers.

    Serial killer, unshowered hobo, Ovechkin... same thing. Good luck at the DMV. At least there are usually (in Ohio anyway) a few nutjobs for entertainment while you wait.

    ReplyDelete