Monday, February 22, 2010

Obligatory Jingoistic Olympic Hockey Post

Before I get started, let me just say I don't have a "These Colors Don't Run" bumper sticker on my car (I have a peace sign and a Yoda Fish on my back bumper). I generally eschew 4th of July celebrations and have participated in more Anti-War marches than Memorial Day parades. I have been to Canada twice (Toronto & Vancouver - I'm not counting the across the border gambling in Windsor) and greatly enjoyed myself - I would much like to visit again soon. That is if they'll stamp my passport after this post.

Yesterday though, I wore my 1998 USA Hockey jersey with pride and yelled at the TV like it was the Americans vs the Ruskies again - for the record it was a week before my fourth birthday when the Miracle On Ice happened so I don't remember it. Amy wasn't born yet. Hmph.

I started out the day after a late breakfast with some of my friends from high school (I do keep in touch with *some* people), watching the Russia/Czech Republic game. I'll just say this once: why was this game on NBC in glorious HD when the most important game in US Hockey in 30 years was relegated to the "Place for Politics" in non-HD. AnyWAY, I half paid attention to the game as Russia pretty much dominated it, and without any Hawks to root for, I didn't care too much who won. When Ovechkin unloaded on Jagr in the third period which set Malkin up nicely for his second goal, I had to think it was karma for the 1992 Cup Finals (yes I am still bitter). What I DID NOT enjoy was the ten minutes that followed of Penis-Head McGuire, Doc and Edzo all fighting to lick Ovie's boots, err skates. Hello, he's from Russia - in the Olympics he's the enemy! It finally got so nauseating I changed the channel to curling. I was that annoyed.

In my head I knew that it was likely that Canada was going to beat us. But I felt in my heart that this game was going to be special and for once, I was right. When Rafalski scored less than a minute in on Brodeur, it seemed to prove to the US that not only that they deserved to be there, that they deserved to win. I won't rehash the game, but it was excitement I have not felt since last year's playoffs (oh and maybe the 5 goal comeback versus Calgary early this season). The last half of the third period had me on the edge of my seat, wishing I had a paper bag to breathe in. When Kesler scored that amazing empty netter to seal it, I had to thank the gods for the win, at the same time cursing them for making me root and cheer for a member of the Red Wings and the Canucks. I guess I can go back to hating them next week.

I won't lie and say I did not experience schadenfreude at the expense of the Canadian hockey fans looking like they were just told there wouldn't be any more Christmases. I do feel somewhat bad for Toews, Kane & Seabrook as they all played good games - Toews had 2 assists and both Dunc and Seabs had one apiece. Watching Toews during the Olympics makes me marvel even more at how he plays the game and makes me even more thankful that he's a Hawk. Sure, he doesn't have the stats and the name recognition of Crosby, but if I had to choose between one of them to wear the Captain's "C" it would be Toews hands down. I hope Team Canada takes note of his play and in four years in Sochi (if Bettman doesn't screw things up) he at least gets an "A" on his jersey.

I watched part of the Sweden/Finland game, if only to assure myself that the US would get the #1 seed in the medal rounds. Eventually I got tired and went to bed. I did watch the expected 9-1 thrashing courtesy of the American women versus the Swedes this afternoon after I came home from the doctor (I finally got the damn stitches out of my leg!). Not a surprise, but after Torino you could tell the team was a bit cautious in the first period until they scored their first goal. Later tonight is the Canada/Finland match which should set up the USA/Canada gold medal game on Thursday. Unless of course Canada still has some bad karma coming. Maybe it's punishment for Celine Dion.

No comments:

Post a Comment