Thursday, February 4, 2010

On the Road Again...

As I alluded to earlier, we will be heading down tomorrow for the Hawks game in St. Louis on Saturday night. I am very excited - for three reasons:

- I have never been to a Blackhawks away game so this should be fun - especially against a division rival. I have been to a few Cubs away games. I saw them play the Sox at Comisk...The Smel...US Cellular Field shortly after interleague play started. I did not have a very good time because fans on both sides cared more about flinging profanity at each other and booing the other team than actually watching the game. My brother (God love him) is one of those people - I had to drag him away from some Sox fans as we were leaving before I had to explain to my mom why I needed bail money. I went to Miller Park to see Zambrano pitch his no hitter. Technically I guess that doesn't count, since it was a Houston home game (they had to move because of a hurricane) and the crowd was all Cubs fans anyway. I also saw the Cubs play the Giants when we went to San Francisco a few years ago. That was a much better experience - beautiful ballpark, friendly people and if I remember correctly the Cubs actually won. I am not one of those opposing fans who will mock the home crowd if my team does something good because a) I am a nice person and b) I will most likely be outnumbered by a factor in the thousands.

- I am going as part of a group of folks on the Second City Hockey blog. I had been lurking on the blog for about a year before I started contributing (rather badly I might add) in the last month or so. I had looked at the start of the year at ticket availability for this game, but it was pretty much sold out. By a stroke of luck, the guys at SCH had a few extra tickets out of the block they purchased early in the season, and I managed to grab two of them. I met a few folks at the viewing party for the Canucks game, but being somewhat shy, I didn't talk too much. I'll probably be more talkative this weekend, especially if alcohol is involved. In any case, it'll be neat to sit with a group of fellow fans/nerds/alcoholics for the game. Though I will state for the record if anyone gets arrested, I will not supply bail money - unless it is Amy - I think I am morally obligated to do so.

- I am excited to go to the city of St Louis again, even if it is for an abbreviated trip. I visited a couple years ago when Amy had a conference there, and I really enjoyed it - even if it is the home of the Cardinals (BARF). I loved the City Museum, and may try to go again if time permits. We went to a couple nice restaurants and bookstores. And I got to go to a Schnucks! I used to go to one all the time when I was going to school in Urbana so it was a nice bit of nostalgia. My only regret is I don't have time to meander down I-55 so I could seek out a lot of the remnants of Route 66. Oh well, some day.

Well, I have to finish laundry, dishes and packing before the night is through. Maybe I should get some sleep as well.

Oh one last thing. I hope to see something that was missing last night:

3 comments:

  1. Have fun on your trip! (And try not to get any barfy Cardinals germs on you while you're in St. Louis. The Reds fan in me wouldn't be able to speak to you ever again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will give Busch Stadium the finger for both of us if I go by it. And on behalf of Cubs fans, you have my sympathies for Dusty Baker. Then again since the Reds have won a championship in the last century you should probably should pity me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not one that I remember real well, but they do have a recent-ish championship to their name (along with a frustrating and hilarious ability to lose in spectacularly creative ways). For what it's worth, you have my pity.

    ReplyDelete