Friday, January 29, 2010

Game 54: Hawks 4, Sharks 3 (OT) - Mel remembers what it is like to stay up past 11 on a school night.

I honestly don't know how I managed to stay up to watch the game last night. In retrospect, I should have gone to bed after the first period up 3-1 - although I probably would have woken up this morning wondering how the hell the game went to overtime. It was almost like getting a big bucket of popcorn - about halfway down you're full, but you keep eating because, what the hell, it's there.

I am really glad the Hawks came back and won - I was already worse for wear at work, and if we had blown a three goal lead and lost I totally would have been a bitch from hell. And I am a nice person. Really.

Anyhoo - the game started out so well. I was really thinking it was going to be a repeat of the 7-2 thumping we gave the Sharks at the Tank pre-Thanksgiving. But whether it was Disney on Ice fatigue or a lame attempt at sitting on the lead (which never seems to work) lo and behold the Sharks came back to tie mid-third. I noted Toews looked extremely pissed on the ensuing faceoff post-goal - and damn if the Hawks didn't start playing like they were aware there was a hockey game going on. I don't why the switch suddenly turned back on (perhaps a promise of limo rides to Carolina?), but over a minute into OT, Brouwer buried the winner and Mel went to bed happy.

Game Notes:

- Huet really saved our ass in the second and third periods - it easily could have gotten ugly quick. And yes, 3 goals against isn't great but honestly those goals are more on the D having brain farts in front of him. But of course, according to Ross McKeon at Yahoo Sports we're not going to win jack because we don't have a #1. Last I checked, the team that scored the most goals wins. So shut up and fuck off.
- As great as a game Hossa played versus the Oilers, he looked off last night. Hopefully it was just fatigue and not much else. We really need him to show up come playoff time.
- It was nice to see Brett Sopel back in all his shit in his pants, shot blocking glory. Until his errant pass led to the third goal. Yeech. Funny story - Amy got her first good look at his face when he was grimacing on the bench during the Vancouver game. You may have heard her scream at the Whirlaway.
- We win and only one Hawk gets a star? And it's Brouwer and he's only #2? Hello, he won the game with his second goal of the night! I don't even want to know who makes those decisions.

Speaking of Brouwer:


For some reason this picture reminds me of the Judas Priest concert I went to back in '91. All joking aside though, I feel bad for whatever happened to his face.

One more game vs. Carolina and it's home sweet home. I'm not sure if I'll be able to see it - we're going to Madison tomorrow to meet up with Amy's folks and I have a feeling we'll be going out to dinner around puck drop. Family first I guess - at least until the playoffs!

No comments:

Post a Comment