Saturday, January 16, 2010

Game 48: Blackhawks 6, Columbus 5 - Mel needs a bag to hyperventilate in

So it's about 2/3 of the way through the first period, the Hawks are leading 3-1 and the biggest concern I have at the moment is forgetting to bench Steve Mason on my fantasy team. Then Columbus scores at the end of the period and gets two in the second to make it 4-3 going into the third and I'm cursing the hockey scheduling gods that made the game at 1pm because now I'm going to be miserable the rest of the day.

But wait, this isn't the Cubs - Toews scores two, sandwiching a goal by Eager, and despite a late goal in the game by the BJs (heh) the Hawks manage to pull one out. Good thing too considering this is the first of the eight game ice capades road trip (an aside - does anyone actually go to the ice capades? I thought they went out with Sonja Henie) and it would have been really sour to start it off with the second multi-goal lead collapse in a week.

A thought on Huet, as I'm sure there will be calls for his head again after putting up a five spot: while I'll be the first to admit this wasn't one of his finest games, it was nowhere near the shitstorm of the beginning of the great Calgary comeback or the two Dallas losses. He's more than an adequate goalie for a team with the scoring and defensive skills that the Blackhawks possess. So, I'm ok with him as the starting goaltender - although I deserve the right to change my mind come April. It would be nice to see him stand on his head during a game at some point. Really the only time I can remember a game in the recent past where our goalie stole a game was the Pittsburgh game in December and that was Niemi (or as I like to call him, "Happy Feet").

So onto the scum tomorrow and hopefully we spank them on NBC. That coupled with a Vikings defeat would culminate in the best sports Sunday I've had since before the Bears season started.

No comments:

Post a Comment