Monday, April 26, 2010

Western Conference Quarterfinals Game 5: Hawks 5, Predators 4 (OT) - Mel confesses.

Bless me Father, for I have sinned.

You see, I'm rather sports obsessed. And when I'm a loyal fan, I'm a *loyal* fan of a team. So much so that when things aren't going my team's way, it can literally make me ill and crazy. Just ask Amy - she didn't speak to me for the second half of Game Three and went to bed before the game was over. The stress of a hotly contested game drives me up the wall. This is why I will never go to a Game Seven as I'll be dead before the second intermission. I never go to "rivalry" games either - such as Hawks/Wings, Cubs/Sox or Cardinals, Bears/Packers - oh who am I kidding - you have to sell a major organ to even get tickets to a Bears game, no matter how bad they suck. The hatred and vitriol between fans in the stands is too much for me to bear.

So after blowing a two goal lead (this is a way too familiar refrain in the last couple of months), and being down a goal with about a minute to play, I was at my wit's end. Then Hossa hit Hamhuis into the boards and gets a five minute major. I couldn't stand it. We're going to go down 3-2 to the fucking *Predators* heading back to Nashville?

I turned off the TV.

Luckily I had been keeping up with the Game Thread at SCH (in reality I paid more attention to the computer than the game in the third due to aforementioned stress issues). About a minute after I turned the TV there was an explosion of "OMGs" and "HOLY FUCKING SHIT" on the blog. I turned the game back on to see the Kane goal celebration. I couldn't believe it. Oh ye of little faith.

The waiting between the third and OT was painful. Beside mentally kicking myself for missing the fourth goal (though I'm telling myself they scored *because* I turned it off. Shut up, let me have my moment),  I knew we hadn't won anything yet. Especially considering we had nearly four minutes of PK time to start OT with Hossa in the box. Deep down in my heart, I knew if we killed that PP we would win.

I didn't think we'd win that quickly after the penalty expired. And the GWG scored by Hossa no less? That's a big ouch coming from the Preds fans. Believe me, as a lifelong Cubs fan (Five More Outs Goddammit!) I share your pain. Sorta. HAWKS WIN!

I watched this game from a hotel in Milwaukee (on a really crappy SD TV), and am surprised they didn't call security after all of the whooping and clapping I was making after OT.

Anyway, more thoughts after the jump.




- The big controversy, of course, is regarding the Hossa hit on Dan Hamhuis. I don't have a problem with the five minute major. It was a dangerous hit, and Hossa should have known better. I do however have a problem with everyone saying the Hossa and Ovechkin hit on Soupy are identical. Are you fucking blind? Hossa used a one handed push from the side on Hamhuis while going after the nearby puck in desperation in a game with one minute remaining. Baby Huey's hit was a cross check from behind with the puck long since gone in the first period of a game. Plus the douchebag had two prior dirty hits this season alone, while Hossa had no priors. Anyone who thinks those hits are the same need an eye transplant.
- Of course Preds fans are upset there was no suspension on Hossa. I think it could have gone either way, and wouldn't have been surprised if he would had to sit out Game Six. But for everyone whining about how unfair it was, and that Hossa should have been tossed in the game, please remember this: you let in a short handed goal with 13 seconds left after Erat lost his mind in the Hawks' zone. You also had a 5 minute PP - one goal and it's over. Don't blame the refs for this loss - blame your horrendous Power Play and your D for not locating Hossa when he came out of the box.
- Dave Bolland is awful - he made a nice play that led to the GWG in OT, but he has flat out sucked this series. I implore Q - please put in Fraser tomorrow!
- Speaking of sucking, I really wish they'd put Buff back at forward. Or better yet, in the press box. In the third he literally stopped and watched as Campbell struggled with a puck that nearly led to a Preds scoring chance. Way to support your teammates, you lazy ass.
- Kane is lucky he scored that tying goal, because I was going to rip him a new one after that turnover that resulted in a Preds shortie. That kid sure knows when to pick his moments though.
- Joel Ward's "What?" gesture after Kane scored was classic. How about clearing the front of the net idiot - you do that and it's a happy ass plane back to Nashville.
- Brent Sopel might be the invisible MVP of this series. His patience before the Hossa goal was beautiful. God, he is just so painful to look at - Sad.
- Let's just hope this is the last time the Hawks blow a multi-goal lead late for a long long time. I am sick of watching it. I liked it better last year when we were the team that always came back.
- Nothing has been won yet, but I have to think this loss for the Preds is a deal breaker. From a mental standpoint, this has to hurt more than anything. We'll see as they'll be back on their turf, but I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of Hawks fans in attendance Monday night. 

I must end this recap with one of the more surreal and hilarious things I have ever seen at a hockey game:

Poor Nemo. No matter what he does for the rest of his career, he'll always be known as the goalie molested by the refs in a playoff game. I'm going to use this as an excuse for the reason he wasn't really on his game after this. Because if I had a ref playing grab ass with me, I probably would have been rocking back and forth on the bench afterward.

Oh by the way, my thoughts on the other seven series:

Sharks win series in six: Newsflash! Jesus spotted in San Jose proclaiming he had just performed his one and only miracle this decade.
Canucks win series in six: Folks at Kleenex will have to wait another series in hopes of their stock rising.
Wings/'Yotes go to Game Seven: Throw the Goddamn Snake!
Caps lead Habs 3-2: I just want Baby Huey to go away.
Flyers win series in five: Although seeing Carcillo go after Ovechkin might be wonderful.
Bruins lead Sabers 3-2: If only we didn't have to see Ryan Miller's puppy dog face if Buffalo loses.
Penguins win series in six: Ho Hum.

Hopefully I'll get around posting thoughts of the Cubs big win in Milwaukee that I attended today before the start of Game Six. But I make no promises.

1 comment:

  1. You sound like my dad. We finally had to split up and watch the game in different rooms and he said afterward that he'd turned the channel, but flipped back when he heard me cussing from upstairs.

    The goalie groping was really uncomfortable, especially after Pierre's disturbingly eager suggestion that Niemi strip.

    ReplyDelete