Monday, April 26, 2010

Game 1: Cubs 12, Brewers 2 @ Miller Park

Game One refers to the fact this is the first Cubs game I've attended this season. Thus far I have tickets to four games total. I had an opportunity for free tickets last weekend, but was obligated to attend a wedding shower instead. For now, I'll spare everyone my thoughts on the institution of marriage. In any case, the Cubs bullpen blew that game anyway, and everyone who went said they froze their ass off.

To be honest, I didn't much look forward to going to this game. I'm completely engrossed in the Hawks and the entire NHL Playoffs and don't have time for baseball - especially since the Cubs have been even worse than I expected thus far. I think this game was the first Cubs game I've watched in its entirety all season. Amy's folks went up to Milwaukee this weekend and we stayed up there Saturday night. That is why I was stuck watching Game Five in a hotel with a TV older than half of the Hawks team. Oh Well.

Now I love Wrigley Field, but the older I get, the more I realize what a piss smelling shithole it is. I'm all for architectural preservation, but after attending several new ballparks (AT&T Park in San Francisco is my fave), I won't shed a tear if they tear down everything but the bleachers and scoreboard and start from scratch. Miller Park is a nice ballpark. Bathrooms without cardboard in the stalls, wide berths in the concourses, a roof to close when it's ass freezing/raining (as it was Sunday), and a fine food and drink selection. Although I must say the bratwurst was just ok (I've been spoiled since having one in Germany) and you'd think the folks in Wisconsin would know better than to put nacho cheese on cheese fries. Speaking of brats:
Amy and I deemed this UUP: Unnecessary Umlaut Placement. According to Amy, the umlaut in "Brat" would cause the word to be mispronounced "Brait", as in rhyming like "wait."  Perhaps I should start an UUP Facebook group. Although I bet there is one already.

Onto the game, the Cubs came into it with the possibility of sweeping the weekend series after winning the previous two games 8-1 and 5-1 respectively. Bet the Brewers wish they hadn't used all their runs stomping the Pirates 20-0 earlier in the week. I thought with my luck at attending sporting events lately (I was on a three game personal losing streak), the Cubs were sure to lose the only game of the series I attended. I needn't have worried though:
There was a entire row of 20ish Brewers fans in front of us, and I think they all got up and left around the time I took this picture. I can't say I really blame them, but as a lifelong Cubs fan and you have to at least stick around for the 7th inning stretch. Way to support your team!

Home Runs were hit by Fukudome, Colvin (love this kid!), Soto and Lee. Both Soto's and Lee's Home Runs were massive - both were over 400 feet and Lee's almost hit one of the Harleys behind the bullpen! Colvin and Koskuke missed hitting for the cycle by the elusive triple and Theriot was 5 for 6 in the leadoff spot. In fact, everyone in the starting lineup had a hit including Randy Wells, the pitcher (he had a double). Wells pitched very well - 7 innings of 2-run ball with 6 K's. And let's face it- even the Cubs bullpen can't blow a 10 run lead. Cubs Win! Can we play Milwaukee all of the time? We're 5-1 against them and 4-9 against everybody else. Ugh.

Aside from the offensive explosion, the highlight of the game was the famous SAUSAGE RACE!


The Hot Dog won - I was rooting for the Brat due to my love of all things Deutschland.

By the way, if you're ever looking for a tasty place in Milwaukee to eat, try Maxie's Southern Comfort. Really great Crabcakes and Sweet Potato Fries. Dammit, now I'm hungry.

This sports diversion was brought to you by the MLB. Back to playoff hockey - 90 minutes until Game Six. Time to start pacing and saying prayers to whatever deity will listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment