Saturday, April 24, 2010

Western Conference Quarterfinals Game 4: Hawks 3, Predators 0 - Mel exhales.

This is going to be a shortie, since it's late and my tired ass has to get up early in the morning - well for a Saturday anyway.

This was a game the Hawks *had* to have. Sad that it happened so early in the playoffs, but they got themselves into this mess. They had to dig themselves out of it. Play hard, win battles, finish every shift as if it's your last. Thank Jebus they did.

Two MIAs, Sharp and Toews, made their presence known with two and one goal respectively. Niemi got another "No-No" - way impressive for the rook's first two playoff wins to be shutouts. Soupy was back on the ice (albeit for only 14 minutes) and I think his mere presence lifted the team. Can't say much about his actual play - I didn't really notice him, but seeing as our D has been way too visible in its deficiencies since he's been gone, I consider that a victory. Q's line roulette seemed to work with Bickell (or as Amy calls him, Pickle) and Burish returning to the lineup. Whether the lines were a true success or if it was the sense of urgency that made them click, I don't care. Sopel blocked a million shots again - seriously, how this man doesn't need a one of those motor scooters for old people after each game I'll never know. My only real complaints were the play of Keith and Bolland. Keith made several bad turnovers in his own zone and took a stupid penalty in the third. His offside on Hossa's empty net attempt was almost comical if not sad - I hope he at least bought Panda dinner for that gaffe (btw - I swear the shoot the puck bimbo has better aim than the Hawks when trying for the empty net). Keith did play 30+ minutes in game three, so I'll give him a pass for this game. Bolland though is pretty brutal. Honestly, I think his back is still giving him fits. I'll give him props for toughing it out, but when you're becoming a liability on the ice, it's time to sit. I hope Q sits Bolland and puts Fraz back out there, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think whomever wins game five probably takes the series. I think the Hawks definitely have the Preds on their heels a bit and the UC will be off the charts. We tend to suck when we're on NBC - but I don't know if Nashville has ever been on the NBC Game of the Week, so perhaps that will cancel it out.

I'll probably be watching this game in a hotel room in Milwaukee. Amy's folks are in for a visit and we're spending Saturday there, and seeing the Cubs game at Miller Park on Sunday. God, I hope there's a great alcohol selection at the Park because the Cubs are even worse than I thought they'd be so far. A long playoff run for the Hawks would distract me from the inevitable train wreck this Cubs season will be. Ugh, why must Chicago sports fans suffer so?

No comments:

Post a Comment