Sunday, April 18, 2010

Western Conference Quarterfinals Game 1: Preds 4, Hawks 1 - Mel wants a refund.


I really meant to get this up yesterday, but I didn't wake up until almost 2pm and then had a migraine most of the day which rendered me more useless than normal. I had family obligations this afternoon and just got over *another* migraine, so I have to persevere and get this done before Game 2. Sheesh.

It really sucked we had to wait until Friday for this game (Damn you Harlem Globetrotters!) as half the teams were playing game two while we were hadn't even started yet. So, the excitement was horrible - even more so because we actually ended up going to this game. They released a bunch of tickets Wednesday, and through tweets and blogs found out about it in time to snatch up some pretty good seats at face value. So Friday at work was pretty much a waste as I was a jittery as a six year old on too much sugar. Don't ask me how I'll be at work tomorrow morning with another loss. I'm PMSing as it is - folks best just steer clear of me if that happens.


Honestly, this is a game the Hawks probably should have won. The score should have been 3 or 4 to nothing going into the third. They had multiple breakaways/odd man rushes, where either Pekka Rinne made an excellent save or the shooter missed the damn net or didn't even get a shot off. Considering that the first Preds goal was a total bouncy fluke that Nemo should have had (maybe he was trying to make Huet feel better on the bench?) and the second was due to a horrible horrible giveaway in their own zone by Brouwer when he could have just shot it down the ice, the Hawks just let this one get away. That's what I am going to keep telling myself to make me feel better. I hope the Hawks realize this too and come out with a killer instinct. On to bulletpoints, as I no longer feel like making paragraphs.


- Got to the UC as it opened and got some awesome warmup photos. Have now decided that my taking warmup photos is a jinx as I have done it the last three games I've gone to (massacre in Columbus, 4-0 Icehogs loss a few weeks ago) with bad, bad results. Sorry folks, you'll just have to deal with ants on ice pictures for the foreseeable future.
- I had forgotten how much louder/more intense the UC gets during the playoffs - there is really no comparison. We could barely hear the anthem. The guys who had the sparklers there last year either weren't there or got them confiscated by security.
- For those Preds fans who insist they don't trap - fuck off. Believe me, I saw it with my own eyes. Effective in this game, yes - but if you keep on denying it, I'm going to sic Admiral Ackbar on your asses.
- Now you'd think since the Preds have the reputation of clogging the neutral zone, the Hawks would focus on dumping the puck in. Nope. I don't care if you're Wayne Fucking Gretzky - if you have four guys defending you as you pass the red line, dump the goddamn puck in the zone! I don't know how many times we missed some great rushes by being stubborn.
- We were at the end where the Predators shot twice, and I thought Niemi was fighting it a bit in the first. Hopefully it was just first playoff game jitters and he comes back strong tonight.
- JP Fucking Dumont. Really? What are we the Cubs, where ex-players have career games against us? Speaking of the Cubs, the entire team was at this game to watch. Don't ask me how many Cubs cursed the Hawks comments I've put up with since then.
- There was zero net presence in this game. Um hi, you're not going to beat a good goalie like Rinne unless you stick some ass in his face. Please rewatch the Western Conference Semis from last year and ask Luongo how he feels about ass-mask.
- Too many Hawks trying to make too many pretty passes/highlight reel plays. Just shoot the puck on net if you have a shooting lane goddammit! How do you think the Preds got their first goal - strange things can happen when the puck goes on net.
- I'll also blame the loss on the asshole behind us who said the "s" word going into the third period. Jackass.
- Speaking of which, another asshole went into a ten minute long profanity laced tirade after Brouwer's giveaway led to the second Nashville goal. I mean I was upset too, but I was really hoping he would lose his voice the way he was carrying on.
- Those free towels are great for two things when you're not scoring - 1) cleaning your glasses. 2) covering your face as the first of *two* empty net goals go against you.
- I saw some Nashville fans tooting their offensive prowess on the internets after this game. Let's see: a fluke goal, a bad defensive giveaway and two empty netters. Yeah, you're the Washington Capitals now. Fuck off.

So, here we go - Let's not buck the trend boys and tie the series like the other seven series - how unbelievable is that? I know you can do it - play like your playoff lives depend on it - because it very well might. LET'S GO HAWKS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment