Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Western Conference Quarterfinals Game 2: Hawks 2, Predators 0 - Mel approves.

So because I’m a superstitious creature, I decided waiting to the day of the next game to write the recap was good luck. Thus, this post is late. I did really mean to do this last night, but adult things (like dishes and such – nothing dirty!) kept me away from it. But I’ll hold onto the whole superstition reason – right now the only one I have going is not washing my Toews jersey until after the playoffs like last year. Don’t worry – I only wear it to games or if I’m going out to watch the game somewhere and I always take it right off when I get home. So, it shouldn’t get too rank. I contemplated not shaving my legs in solidarity of those growing beards, but I do like to wear shorts when it gets hot and my legs get super dry. I’ll have to find a different good luck charm though – the mini Hawks Zamboni from 1998 I brought with me to Game One failed miserably.

After the jump: Recap and Bonus Material from those other games that are being played!


If we had to lose one of the first two games on home ice, I would have picked losing the first one. That way you go into Nashville with some momentum behind you. Still, the anxiety before this game was immense, because no one wants to go into someone else’s house down 2-0. To add to my twitching, this game started remarkably like the Game One. A good amount of pressure on Rinne resulted in a fine collection of saves/missed SOG/passes that went nowhere. It did seem like the Hawks shored up things defensively – largely due in part to the shuffling of D pairings. Dunc/Seabs had a glorious reuniting (cue violins), and Q went with TOFTBO/Sopel and Buff/Hendry. Sopel blocked 5,769 shots by himself and somehow was still standing by the end of the game. Everyone gives Sopel a lot of crap (myself included) for skating like he has bricks in his underwear and the fact that he’s so fugly you wish he’d wear a paper bag under his helmet. But he really gives everything he has on the ice. He also does a lot for military families off the ice so here’s hoping he has a good shot at this year’s Masterson. In any case, the Hawks finally scored in the second when Bolland put in a PP goal while Rinne was taking a swim in the net. It’s nice to see that Davey still exists – I know he’s only six months removed from back surgery, but honestly if he’s not 100% don’t make him the #2 center. He was fed by two beautiful passes from Toews and Kane, so if he had missed the open side, I think many would have been calling for his head. So we headed into the third up 1-0. Sound familiar?

I needn’t have worried as Playoff Mullet Kane buried a shot on an odd man rush shortly into the third. It was at that point the Preds decided to act like the Blues and attempt to goon it up. I say attempt because if Steve Sullivan is your enforcer, you’ve got a problem. Niemi only faced 23 shots, but he had a couple of difficult ones. You have to hand it to him after everyone was pointing fingers for the soft weird bouncy one he let in the last game. For a rookie to get a shutout in only his second playoff game – that is impressive. Just ask Nabokov and Luongo how difficult it is to get shutouts in the playoffs. I think Niemi is my new Hawks crush – he’s so dorky looking and apparently talks to himself during on ice breaks which I think is adorable. Ok, I’m weird. So? Anyway, I think the Preds are starting to realize that in order to take this series, Rinne is going to have to stand on his head like he has been for the most part. That’s difficult for an entire series, but not impossible. Meanwhile, it seems like if we get a 2+ goal lead on Nashville, they’ll go into full blown panic mode considering their comparative lack of firepower (especially if Hornqvist is out again). Which may in fact lead to better scoring chances and an even bigger lead for the Hawks. Here’s hoping the Hawks can score early for once and put the Preds in a hole in Game Three.

And now for an added bonus, my three sentence thoughts for each of the other seven series. Please note, some I haven’t had a chance to watch much or at all due to overlapping games and my inability to watch the end of any West Coast games since I wake up before sunrise. 

Sharks vs. Avalanche: This series shows you how a goalie who excels (local product Craig Anderson) can tilt the games into the underdog's favor. I enjoyed the end of Game Three IMMENSELY. Though I will admit, I do feel kinda bad for Dan Boyle

Canucks vs. Kings: Watching the game last night reminded me how much of a bunch of fuckwads the 'Nucks are. And how much I love seeing Luongo get the hook. LUUUUUU.

Coyotes vs. Red Wings: Another series I am loving - despite the lack of throwing of snakes. Scum fans are already trolling for Osgood. I will state that the possibility of facing Phoenix if we win our series scares me quite a bit.

Capitals vs. Canadiens: I knew this series was about done when the Habs blew that 4-1 lead in Game Two. Loved that Baby Huey was useless in Game One. Color me surprised if the Craps make it to the Conference Finals.

Devils vs. Flyers: I honestly haven't watched a single minute of this series. I really could care less who wins. Marty Brodeur is fat (added to satisfy three sentence requirement).

Sabers vs. Bruins: I hate that these two teams are facing each other in the first round. I still love Ryan Miller and Tuukka is fun to say. Intrigued by possibility of a Savard return in a Penguins/Bruins Semi Final.

Penguins vs. Senators: SidneyCrosbySidneyCrosbySidneyCrosby. *Yawn* At least the Sens gave them a good scare in Game One,

As a final bonus I present you this picture of the Hawks bench taken in Game One:


Even from this distance you can witness the glory of the Playoff Mullet. May it grow to Billy Ray Cyrus proportions. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. The NHL ought to advance both the Sabres and Bruins and disqualify the Devils and Flyers for being awful and/or evil.

    One other thing. We're hoping you can help settle an argument. Is the owl-like thing on Niemi's mask supposed to be a hawk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a Hawk, but I too always think it's an owl. I think because it's brown.

    The mask he wore earlier in the year was amusing - an ode to video games.

    ReplyDelete