Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Stanley Cup Finals Game Two: Hawks 2, Flyers 1 - Mel gets treats

Well, I guess the real treat was the outcome. But as to what I'm referring to, you'll just have to wait until the end.

With the somewhat unexpected offensive explosion in Game One, you'd had to figure both teams would button things down. They wouldn't disappoint. The first period started out somewhat tentative - offensively at least (the Hawks won the SOG battle 9-3). The hits though came fast and furious - starting at the opening faceoff. Much was made about Daniel Carcillo entering the lineup. He made a few good hits, although none better than this one:



I guess this is why Carcillo was bumped to the third line shortly thereafter and was MIA in the third period. I loved Burish's chirp from the bench though: "That was your best hit all year!" LOLLERCOASTER!

The second period definitely had more jump to it - the Flyers outshot the Hawks 15-13. With better rebound control and positioning by both goalies, it seemed like we were going to the final period with two goose eggs on the scoreboard. Lo and behold, with the Flyers being sloppy clearing out the front of the net with 3 minutes left, a Panda swooped in and buried it over Leighton for his first tally of the Finals. You could tell Hossa was relieved more than anything - I think he has been the best forward so far in this series. The UC crowd was still buzzing when a mere 28 seconds later, Buff picked off a pass in the neutral zone and passed it to a waiting Eager who fired a laser above Leighton's glove hand. Ben *fucking* Eager? My brother said the crowd was the loudest after he scored, more out of disbelief than anything else. His celebration was reminiscent of the Nintendo64 kid. He needs to be a little more careful when jumping around though - he could have broken our Captain.

The Flyers came out in pure desperation in the final frame, perhaps realizing that we're not the Bruins. The Hawks seemed somewhat content in being complacent and focusing on defense, which isn't a bad thing, but I wish they would have come out with a little more oomph. Philly clobbered us in offensive chances, with the SOG being tilted 15-4. Enter our little Nemo. If not for a weird wobbly shot that went in from Gagne, Niemi would have had his third shutout of the playoffs. Again, Nemo follows up a shit game with one of his best ones. So after I nearly jumped out the window when Sharpie clanged the post on the empty net to seal the deal (what is with this team and fucking up the ENGs?), the Hawks go to Philly with a 2-0 lead. Thank you Flying Spaghetti Monster!

A brief note on the Pronger/puck/towel/Eager situation. I realize Pronger is a fucking asshole and probably took the puck just to piss the Hawks off. Doesn't he have enough pucks from his grade school days playing with Chelios? It just pisses me off because that puck belongs to Nemo - I mean look at this face from the post game interview - he's choking up because he can't believe the crowd is going crazy for him:


Why gritty players like Sami Salo suffer while filth like Pronger goes without being speared in the nuts is beyond me. Not that I'm advocating violence *whistles*

So Game Three: I'll light a candle for any Hawks fans brave enough to show their face there. I hope they bring ponchos for the beer and vomit showers. I know Toews and Kaner will be back in scoring form. I know Nemo will continue to amaze. I hope the Hawks come back home with at least a split.

Now onto the treats. My brother was kind enough bring me back a couple things I requested from the two games:

Another puck for the collection...

Official SCF program. I haven't read it cover to cover yet but a) it's got a nice section for the roster for both teams b) is far too ad heavy (though the Philadelphia area ads amuse me) c) has way too many mentions/pictures of Crosby/Ovechkin for a Finals between the *Blackhawks* and the *Flyers*. I hate you NHL marketing machine! I'll make sure to get completely pissed NYE so I sleep through the Pens/Caps Winter Classic. Phhhbbbbttttt!

1 comment:

  1. Ha, I agree with Burish! That just might be my favorite play of the postseason >:)

    My sister was in Philadelphia over the holiday weekend. She said saw tons of hockey fans, more people wearing Hawks apparel than Flyers, but the only ones getting harassed were girls. (Which says nothing good about Philly whatsoever. Not wearing their t-shirts and picking on girls. Shameful!)

    ReplyDelete