Saturday, June 12, 2010

Changing of the Guard

When the NHL season started in October, I decided to change my desktop background to this:


This was the cover of ESPN Magazine's NHL Preview Issue. Who knew they actually gave a shit about the NHL anymore? For 9 months these faces looked back at me. At first, I'd stare at Hossa and wonder when we'd actually see him on the ice. Then I'd stare at Toews and marvel at his performance in the Olympics and say a little prayer of thanks to the hockey gods that he was our captain every time I looked at his boyish face. I'd look at Kane and mentally scold him for having viewed his girlish chest in those damn limo pictures. Lastly, throughout the year I'd look at Huet and either bless him for a good game, or more often than not, curse him for his sieve like goaltending skills. After the March Columbus trip, I would always make a wish he'd turn into Antti Niemi so I could lovingly gaze into this bright blue puppy dog eyes. It never worked though, and I admit I always felt sorry for Huey whenever he peered at me from my screen.

Many times throughout the season I was tempted to change the background image to something new or timely. I told myself that this was my image for the season though, and by changing it would be messing with hockey karma.

I just changed it:


This is from the official Hawks site. I like it well enough, but I suspect I might find something a little better in the upcoming days. In any case, I can gaze on the "Stanley Cup Champions" logo and remind myself it was worth the wait.

I'll have pictures and thoughts up from yesterday's crazy victory parade and a special funny post up this weekend. I now have to cram all the chores, sleep and adult responsibilities I have neglected in this crazy week in the two days this weekend. Believe me, I'm not kidding when I say we have no clean dishes, very little food in my fridge and I'm almost out of clean underwear. Don't ever say I don't have my priorities straight!

No comments:

Post a Comment