Thursday, June 3, 2010

And Then There's One: the Passing of a Golden Girl

What does it say about me that the news of Blanche Devereaux's (Rue McClanahan) death has depressed me way more than the Blackhawks' OT loss last night? A co-worker told me about it this morning and it has put me in a funk all day. By coincidence, I was watching the show just last night in between periods of the Hawks game - it was a great way to lower my stress levels and have a few laughs.

Saturday Nights were a routine for me as a kid: take the L downtown for my ballet lesson in the Fine Arts Building from 3:15-4:15. My parents would order either pizza (half bacon/half mushroom) or Chinese (pork chop suey) for dinner. Facts of Life on NBC at 7pm. Some other show (I remember 227 for awhile there) at 7:30. The Golden Girls at 8pm. I loved the Golden Girls even though I was only 9 when the show started. Several times a year my brother and I would spend Saturday nights over at my Grandma's house so my parents could enjoy a night out. I would always clamor for her to put the Golden Girls on. "That show is not for children!" she would state, but then end up putting it on for me anyway. I really couldn't understand what she meant - I thought it was hilarious. It wasn't until many years later, when the reruns were always on Lifetime that I realized what she meant. I was innocent enough then that all that innuendo went completely over my head. It's amazing to me now how much they got away with.

In memory of Blanche, here's a few of my favorite clips:



The laughter by Rue and Bea is genuine - Betty White had them both in stitches while she deadpanned. 



"Lesbian. Lesbian. LESBIAN." That line makes me LOL Every. Damn. Time.



Finally...the Best of Blanche.

I'd like to think that somewhere, Blanche, Dorothy and Sophia are at the kitchen table sharing a cheesecake, chatting away until it's time for Rose to join them (which I hope isn't for a long, LONG time - I heart Betty White!). God, this makes me sad. Wherever you are Rue, Godspeed! You will be missed!

1 comment:

  1. This is sad news :(

    A Golden Girl was one of the very first things I ever ever wanted to be when I grew up. Back then I mostly admired them for being funny ladies (even though I didn't get all the jokes) who had a fridge full of dessert. Now I admire them for being strong, independent, vivacious, funny, good hearted ladies who had a fridge full of dessert ;)

    ReplyDelete