Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Stanley Cup Finals Game Five: Hawks 7, Flyers 4 - Mel starts to FREAK OUT

Well, by freak out I mean that in a "OMGWe'reONEwinawayfromthebigshinything" way. Mostly. There's still the rational/Chicago sports fan part of my brain that reminds me that the series is far from over. Damn you 2003 Cubs from preventing me from fully enjoying the position I'm currently in!

I have to say, the first period of this game was probably the best period of hockey the Hawks have played in this series, if not the entire playoffs. Speed. Puck possession. Crisp passing. Good hitting. It was a thing of beauty - up 3-0 at the end of the period in your own building - marvelous.

Inevitably, the Flyers came out like their pants were on fire scoring quickly in the second. Here's the thing though - every time the Flyers would seemingly get the momentum back by scoring, the Hawks would come right back and answer. That is refreshing to see. The Flyers never got closer than 2 goals down, and when Buff scored the empty netter to ice it, I cursed not having a hot tub time machine to make it Game Six already. A two day break between games this far along in the series is hell for my nerves. Add a long stressful work week already, and this week has just sucked thus far.

A few notes:

- I'm glad Q finally broke up the Buff-Toews-Kane line - spreading the three of them out gave the Philly D fits all night. Even though the Flyers will have last change in Game Six, the Hawks will still have the matchup advantage IMHO, since I don't think the Flyers have figured out how best to defend against these lines.
- Chris Pronger: on the ice for six goals, in the box for the other, gets absolutely destroyed by Buff: MOAR PLS KTHXBYE.
- Aside from Game Two, and a few flashes here and there, Nemo's looked pedestrian in this series. Which going into the playoffs, is about what was expected of him, so Antti's far exceeded anyone's wishes in this department. Still, wouldn't it be great if he had one of his "Niemi Says NO" games tomorrow night? I hope he's due.
- Speaking of goalies, it doesn't surprise me that Leighton's getting the start tomorrow. I have to wonder if Boucher would play if he was 100%. Here's hoping that getting yanked twice thus far and the fact he has to have the game of his life in Game Six is going to make Leighton a tad jumpy in the crease.
- I'd really like it if Toews could score in the Finals. He deserves it - he's really been working hard even if the stat sheets don't show it.

I still haven't decided where I'll be watching Game Six. I'd like to go to the bar within walking distance of the UC, as it would be fun to be wrapped up in things if the Big Happy Event happens. But I know it's going to be crowded and my viewing record is less than stellar there. If all else fails, I'll head to the local bar I went to Sunday which was more than fine, and I have a 1-0 record there (woot!). Whatever happens, I'll be wearing my WC Champs T-Shirt, have my WCF Game Four red towel and my vintage R2-D2 in my pocket as this is what I did Sunday. Why fuck with superstition?

On a final note, I'd like to remind the Hawks that not everybody get this opportunity. Do it for Tony Esposito, Jeremy Roenick, Dirk Graham, Keith Magnuson, Dale Tallon, Doug Wilson and all the countless other Blackhawks who never had the chance to hoist the cup. Do it for the fans. Do it for yourselves. And do it for this man, because I love him so:

[That's Alain Chevrier BTW]

Lets. Go. HAWKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment