Thursday, May 20, 2010

Western Conference Finals Game Two: Hawks 4, Sharks 2 - Mel is confused

"What is this feeling..."

I'm scratching my head because it's been awhile since I've experienced this. The Blackhawks are up 2-0 in a playoff series. And with playing both games on the road? I'm not quite sure I should be ecstatic or freaking out. I'll take the former for now, because with every subsequent win I'm going to have to start to look for tranquilizers.

So I'll admit - I was fully expecting the Hawks to shit the bed in Game Two as has been the norm in these playoffs. They've consistently followed up a strong performance with one that looked like they just got out of bed 10 minutes prior to hitting the ice. Lo and behold - that was not the case. It looks like the Hawks get that this is "for reals" now and are playing their best hockey since the playoffs started.


As expected, the Sharks came out strong and peppered Niemi with 11 SOG in the first. Nemo stopped them all and Andrew Ladd silenced the pom poms (really?) with a 50 footer that made Nabokov look like he ate lead for breakfast. The second period featured some crazy end-to-end action that made me exhausted just watching it. The Hawks got back to doing what got them this far - a goal apiece from Buff and Toews on deflections in front of Nabby from shots from the point. Marleau potted one in the second and third respectively to make it appear that the Sharks still were in it, but a deflection by Brouwer off a shot from TOFTBO in between the them pretty much sealed this deal. Back to the UC up 2-0 - you really can't ask for more. I'm conveniently ignoring the Hawks 3-3 record on home ice during the playoffs thank you.


A few observations:

- Dave Bolland must have the filthiest mouth on the ice. Or something. How else can you explain he's made star players on opposing teams lose their shit around him for two series straight? Oh by the way Thornton - if you're going to viciously slash someone in front of the refs, fans, god and country, don't act like a total bitch when they put you in the box.
- Nemo had another solid game. I'll take two goals against every time. He made a bunch of excellent saves with his ironing board pads, especially in the first when the game was still scoreless. The two he gave up were no fault of his own - one a beautiful one timer on the PP and the other which I believe was partially deflected prior to the shot by Keith.
- On the flipside, Nabokov is getting murdered by the local press. The Sharks aren't totally in this position solely because of him, but he's definitely let in a few this series that he should have had.
- Thanks for all of the giveaways Sharks! Your thank you card is in the mail.
- Hossa deserves two assists on the Brouwer goal. He absolutely molested Wallin off the puck behind the net. Sure he doesn't have the goals, but it's the things he does off the stat sheet that makes him so valuable.
- Look mom - we got some power plays! And we actually scored on one too!
- Dany Heatley must be playing hurt - he looks like crap. I can't say it's happened to a nicer guy.
- This three day gap between games is painful - I would have really liked to keep the one day off schedule as I feel the momentum from Game Two might have lessened a bit. That and I'm climbing the walls. 

So Blackhawks - let's go out and win Game Three. Score one early and I think it will do well enough to get us there. Because *someone* has tickets to Game Four on Sunday. And it would be really nice if you were up 3-0 going in. Because then you *could* clinch something and get a awarded *some trophy* you can't touch. Yes, that would be nice. Please make it happen.

A quick note regarding the Eastern Conference Finals. If I wasn't lazy and had put this post up before tonight's game I would have told you I would have expected this series to leave Montreal tied at 2-2. Tonight's game just proves my point. Anyone thinking this series was going to be over in four or five games is deluding themselves. Let's recall - this conference has already experienced the top three seeds ousted in the first round, the defending champs felled in the second, and a team coming back in a series down 3-0. This entire conference is a clusterfuck!

Is it Friday yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment