Thursday, May 27, 2010

Belated WCF Game Four (Hawks Win Series!) Wrapup

[blogger's note: please excuse the probable crapiness and nonsensical ramblings of this post. I am sick, on cold medicine and my nose is more chapped than a infant who has diaper rash's ass. Whee!]

Well we all know how this ended up - Blackhawks swept the Sharks in four. I don't think anyone (including myself) expected that. Sure, a lot of folks say all four games were hard-fought (which they were) but sweeping a team out of the NHL playoffs is difficult - case in point: this is the only sweep in the playoffs this year at this point.

A few thoughts on Game Four from the standpoint of someone in attendance - with pictures!


- It was a very hot day outside - close to 90 degrees. I didn't wear my jersey until we were almost in the UC. Luckily Amy found a spot near the gate that had some air vents where we could wait until the doors opened. Needless to say, the temps made the ice look like shit. The price you pay for playing the game so late.
- The first period got off to a raucous start from the crowd, but as the period wore on, the crowd got really quiet and nervous. The Hawks had a lone shot on net until about 2/3 of the way through the period. This led to a lot of "SHOOOOOOT" calls from various mouth-breathers, but also a few guys shouted one I hadn't heard before: "TEE IT UP!" Um, sure. I will say though I did yell "shoot!" a couple times myself - in my defense it was only when a Hawk had a clear shooting lane in the offensive zone. As Edzo says, sometimes, "you just have to get the puck to the net and good things happen."
 - The Hawks gained a lot more momentum in the second. Even when Marleau scored on a shortie 7 minutes in, I just had a feeling that if the Hawks scored one, we'd win. Sometimes I'm right, what can I say!
- I saw Duncan Keith get hit in the face with the puck live as it was at my end of the ice. At first I thought maybe he took a puck in the throat/neck as he was hunched over skating to the bench. I think he was just trying to dislodge the teeth caught in the back of his throat. Eww. Mad props to him - I cringe just thinking about getting my teeth cleaned. 
- I couldn't really tell from my vantage point whether the Seabrook goal went in live. Hossa was very emphatic that it did from behind the net. While they were reviewing the goal in Toronto, they didn't put any replays on the scoreboard - I guess they didn't want to influence the coaches/players. We could see the TVs though in the upper skyboxes, and even from as far away as we were you could tell it was a good goal. They finally did show a replay - I assume when the matter was already settled. When the ref went to announce the goal, you could have heard a pin drop in the UC. That was followed by a celebration that was long enough to hear almost all of "Chelsea Dagger" - it took the officials forever to talk to both coaches. I think the Sharks' lifeblood started to drain at this point.
 - The crowd got louder and louder as the third period went on. I think it was the expectation we were going to pull this one out. When Buff scored the GWG, it was like a minor explosion went off at the UC.
 - I will admit: when Kris Versteeg scored an empty net goal with less than a minute left, I jumped up and down like a three year old. Then I stopped, realizing I should have worn a sports bra. Oops. His goal led to a long delay as the free towels started littering the ice. Oh, and this:
My question is, did the woman (presumably) it belonged to whip it off in the heat of the moment or did she bring an extra one for this specific purpose? In any case, when it landed on the ice, one of the spot guys shined his light on it until someone came and picked it up. That poor guy carried it like it had cooties. Needless to say I laughed my ass off.
 - I shouted "Don't Touch it!" when Toews went to accept the Campbell Bowl. Thankfully it appears he's just as superstitious as the rest of us.
 - The Hawks saluted the fans afterward (Kane threw his stick into the stands and caused a near riot) and hung around a little while. This in direct contrast to the Flyers who grabbed the Wales Trophy (jinx!) and skated off to the dressing room as if they committed a crime when they clinched. More on them in another post though.

All in all probably the best game I've ever been to, if only for witnessing a piece of Hawks history, but it was a hell of a game too. I leave you with some crappy quality video Amy took of the game:


Tomorrow, my MVPs of the series, and a preview of the Finals before puck drop. Jesus, is it Saturday night yet *sigh*

1 comment:

  1. It seems like it would be a hassle to get out of your bra in the heat of the moment, though (not ever having done it) I can't say for sure.

    Hope you feel better soon. Sinus issues are a bitch :(

    ReplyDelete