Thursday, May 13, 2010

NHL Playoff Tidbits: Hawks win WCSF 4-2, Series Wrapup

I'm gonna jam a ton of crap in this post as we're leaving tomorrow morning for a weekend trip up to Minnesota for Amy's niece's 2nd birthday. Which is cool, but doesn't leave much time for internetting and hockey obsessing. I'm hoping I'll get to watch the Bruins/Flyers game tomorrow night, but considering Amy's family only really cares about the Cubs, Vikings (*vomit*), hunting and NASCAR, we'll see how far I get with that.


I guess as a Chicago sports fan, I'm unfamiliar with dealing with playoff stress. I can't believe there's still eight more wins needed for the ultimate prize. Halfway there and I'm heading for an ulcer and the beauty aisle at CVS to cover up my rapidly graying hair.

Game Five was maddening. Having won three straight against the seemingly hapless Nucks, and returning to an amp'ed up UC, you'd think the Hawks would have come out tasting blood. Of course, the Nucks score in the first minute of the game, Luongo suddenly remembers that rebounds are bad,  and that was really all she wrote. Toews kept up his torrid scoring pace with a goal to get within two in the third, but Hossa killed any possible momentum with a stupid penalty shortly thereafter. Tazer looked like he was going to rip Hossa's nuts off from the bench. I love my Captain.

So, back to GM place for Game Six on Tuesday. Now, there's no possible way the Hawks are going to win *all three* games on the road in Vancouver right? I mean, what team folds like that? A scoreless first period did nothing to calm my nerves. Both goaltenders seemed to be on it, and I was envisioning a scoreless double OT game that would have caused me to flush my head down the toilet. Alas, a goal from the returning Troy Brouwer early in the second followed by a tally by Versteeg! less than a minute later as a result of a horrible Vancouver turnover, for all intensive purposes, ended the series. Bolland scored a shorty late that period, and after the Nucks scored one in the third to sorta make it interesting, Vancouver's faves, Kane and Buff sealed the deal with two quick ones on odd man rushes. Game, set, match bitches!

Before I go any further, two shout outs need to be made. First, to Vancouver's Sami Salo - the fact you came back after pretty much losing a ball (I think Dunc owes dinner for him and his family every time he's in BC), takes well, balls. Too bad your team couldn't feed off the sacrifice you made. I couldn't imagine how painful that must be - my brother said pretty much every male at the UC simultaneously grabbed their crotch and wailed after he was hit. May this offseason be kind to you and be full of many ice packs.

Secondly,

Troy Brouwer has not had an easy time as of late - Puck Daddy had an excellent story about his family issues if you're not familiar with it. Everyone handles stress in different ways and poor Troy looked like his mind and heart was elsewhere from the start of the playoffs. He was rightfully a healthy scratch in Games 3, 4 and 5 before Q put him back in for Game 6. After a bad penalty and a couple turnovers in the first by Brouw, all I could do was shake my head sadly. Then, he scored his first ever playoff goal by scoring the very first goal of the game. After that it seemed his confidence was back as evidenced by his physical play on the boards and his net presence. I really hope he has a monster series against San Jose. No one deserves it more than you Troy!

Now, onto series end "awards"

Three Stars
  1. Jonathan Toews - Tazer leads the NHL in total playoff points (20 - 12 in this series alone) and assists (14). His hat trick and five point night in Game Four notwithstanding, Toews was by far the best player on the ice for either team this series. He's rightly near the top of most "experts'" Conn Smythe list.
  2. Brent Seabrook - Seabs had an excellent series with 2G and 2A and is tied for the overall team lead with a +5. Perhaps more importantly, Seabrook was solid on defense and a physical presence all series. 
  3. Patrick Kane - He probably feels a tad left out of all the hat tricks, but Kane still ended up with 2G and 5A for the series. And the playoff mullet legend grows.
Honorable Mention: Dustin Byfuglien would have cracked the top three if he wasn't all but invisible during the home games. This series was the epitome of why he frustrates us so. And a gold star to Antti Niemi - he only really stunk once (Game One), made most of the saves he had to and threw a few highlight reel stops in there as well.

Unsung Heroes
  1. Brian Campbell - It's obvious now how important he is to this team. Even though he's not at 100% yet, Soupy is steadily improving each game and potted his first two points of the playoffs this series. It's not a coincidence the PP is much better since his return.
  2. Dave Bolland - Another player I ripped on last series - while not perfect (his faceoff percentage is at times dreadful), he showed up this series and has embraced a more physical game. The way his got into the creepy twins' heads was pure genius.
  3. Niklas Hjalmarsson - the stats may not show it, but he's as steady as they come on the blue line. TOFTBO probably makes the most sound decisions on the D, and that's saying something for a 22 year old.
Where You At?
  1. Ben Eager/Adam Burish - for two folks expected to bring a physical aspect to this series, you sure didn't bring much to the table. Except dumb penalties (Eager). And mouth flapping (Burish). Yawn.
  2. Marian Hossa - sure he brings a lot to the ice, including his two way play and there's no doubt he's working hard on every shift. I just expect more than one goal from Panda in a series. And he leads the team in the playoffs with 19 PIM. Not good.
  3. Jordan Hendry - I like the kid, but I'm wishing we still had Cam Barker.
Hopefully after Game Seven tomorrow night, I'll be able to squeeze some predictions for the Conference Finals before they start. I will state for the record I predict the Hawks will take the series against the Sharks in six. And I hope to see a lot of this in the next two weeks:


P.S. I'm probably going to miss most of Game One as we're driving back on Sunday. Hope I can get WGN radio in the car. Fuck you NBC!

No comments:

Post a Comment