Saturday, May 29, 2010

Make Me Party Like '61 Boys - Hawks vs. Flyers for the Whole Enchilada

Of course, I wasn't alive in 1961 (I'm not that old - yet) and the big shiny thing looks more like something you'd put your guacamole in (wonder if anyone's ever done that) than an enchilada. But it's finally here - Game One of the Stanley Cup Finals! Thanks Bettman for making us all wait a fucking week - kiss my fat ass!

Of course, I'd be remiss if I never mentioned my MVPs and such from the WCF. Yeah, I know it's*really* late but I've done it for every series now and I'm at the height of superstition at the moment. So bear with me here...

Three Stars:
  1. Dave Bolland - "The Rat" had a couple of important goals in the series along with a +5, but perhaps more importantly, help contained Jumbo Joe. That's two series in a row where he's annoyed the team's best players - let us hope it continues.
  2. Dustin Byfuglien - scored 3 of the 4 GWG of the series and continues to be a pest in front of the net. I dream of a day when he performs this well in the regular season.
  3. Antti Niemi - Nemo kept us in Games 1 and 3 with 44 save perfomances. He just doesn't seem to get rattled which is so important this time of year. Don't tell Captain Serious, but he's becoming one of my faves on the team.
Honorable Mentions: How great of a series is it when Conn Smythe favorite and 13 point streaker (heh) Jonathan Toews doesn't even crack the top three? Also, props to Duncan Keith not only for sacrificing seven teeth, but also for his sound defensive play and 4 assists in the series.


Unsung Heroes:
  1. Brent Seabrook - was solid all around defensively, led the team in hits and had the key first goal in Game Four
  2. Kris Versteeg - had 1G and 2A in the series and has overall played a much better two way game when paired with Bolland and Ladd.
  3. Brian Campbell - I think he's made a difference since coming back. Don't you?
No disses for this series, because how can you really fault a sweep? But I will say I hope Hossa breaks out of his slump by shutting up all the stupid "curse" talk and Brouwer gets off the milk carton this series. 

Onto the finals - If you thought that the Stanley Cup would come down to Antti Niemi vs. Michael Leighton in net, please give me a call. I'll buy you a ticket to come with me the next time I go to Vegas. This series has been analyzed to death thanks to the aforementioned five day layoff (*grumble*) so I won't have anything new to add here. I will say that I think the series is going to come down to two things:

a) Goaltending (duh) - It boils down whether one or both of the goaltenders can withstand the pressure of being in the finals and can continue to perform at such a high level. I will give Nemo the edge here - he's played the entire playoffs unlike Leighton and faced a lot more shots and offensive pressure. If Leighton shits the bed though, it looks like Boucher's ready in the wings so they definitely have an advantage if that happens.
b) Mental Toughness - part of the reason for the Hawks' success is both the Nucks and the Sharks seemed to lose their focus which resulted in unnecessary penalties and whining in the press. The Flyers are known for being rather thug like so the Hawks will need not to retaliate. When I was home sick on Thursday, I watched the Hawks portion of media day and the players all seemed relaxed and focused. On the raido yesterday they had a soundbite of Pronger being a little testy and saying something to the effect that "if they're such underdogs maybe they should just stay home." Let's hope the mind games have begun!

I feel like a jinx for making a prediction, but it's worked for me so far. Here it is: Hawks in Six. I'd love for them to win in five so it can be on home ice. But they absolutely CANNOT drag this series to seven games. My cousin's wedding is on the night of Game Seven and I shudder to think of the bridges I'm gonna burn. Not to mention the stress. So six or less please Hockey Gods, por favor.

Well a couple more hours of fiddling around the house and it's off to a bar to watch the game. My brother is going. I don't like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment