Sunday, March 7, 2010

Oh What the Hell - Bloggin' the Oscars

7:29PM
Completely skipped the "Red Carpet Show." Even I have a limit to how much crap I can watch. I did catch Meryl Streep though - as if I could ever look that good at her age.



7:31PM
Amy says the best actor/actress nominees have the best dressed ushers to direct them back to their seats. Good god, what is up with Neil Patrick Harris' tux? Las Vegas showgirls too?  Is this taking place at the Flamingo?

7:35PM
Goddammit I ordered my pizza an hour ago - I'm hungry!

7:38PM
They put Gabby Sidibe in a corner. Hmm.

7:41PM
You know if they didn't have these forced opening monologues, the ceremony would end before midnight.

7:44PM
Penelope Cruz is hot. The accent helps - I love me some accents.

7:51PM
Pizza's finally here. Not going to type while eating - Amy will kill me if I get BBQ chicken pizza on her laptop.

8:03PM
3 for 3 in picks. Up was a gimme - Pixar could make a feature about an animated turd and it'd win. Surprised there's no performances of all 5 Original Song nominees - maybe they'll bring back the interpretive dance segment for Original Score *crosses fingers*

8:11PM
Pizza was good by the way. If you live in Chicago, Candlelite on the far north side has excellent thin crust pizza and garlic fries.

8:12PM
Tina Fey is much more attractive with glasses (I have a thing for glasses). She also needs to lose the leopard print sparkly dress - yeech!

8:15PM
They went back to saying "And the winner is..." Thank god, there was a little too much PC in "The Oscar goes to..."

8:17PM
Middle aged Molly Ringwald, Matthew Broderick and a dead John Hughes. God, where did the 80's go?

8:22PM
Ally Sheedy - if you've never seen High Art you need to Netflix it now. She was robbed of at least an Oscar nomination.

8:24PM
I'll admit it - Up made me cry several times.

8:28PM
Zoe Saldana looks like she killed Grimace for her dress. Speaking of which:

8:31 PM
Wallace and Gromit lost :( The winner, Logorama looks cool though - I'll have to check it out. Too bad this poor guy is probably going to be hit with lawsuits now that people are going to watch his film.

8:34PM
Also going to have to rent Rabbit ala Berlin - looks cool from that 2 second clip. Who the hell is that woman who interupted the winner? Geez...exactly how many dresses did they make out of Grimace's hide?

8:36PM
Well I bombed in the shorts/documentary category. No great loss - unless you see all the films you have better luck throwing a dart at a dartboard to pick your winner.

8:38PM
After seeing Ben Stiller, I am glad I haven't seen Avatar. Gross.

8:43PM
With as much crap as they put in this broadcast, they should really give the winners of the technical Oscars more than 30 seconds to talk. This will probably be the only time these folks get any public recognition - I'd rather hear them than the actors grandstand and over-emote when they win.

8:50PM
Nice to see Precious win adapted screenplay (even if I didn't pick it). Haven't seen the movie - from everything I've read it would have been difficult for me to watch in the theatre.

8:59PM
Amy just asked if Mo'Nique only has one name. Hey, she just won a Oscar - we can call her whatever she wants. She gave a short and excellent speech.

9:05PM
Sigourney Weaver - still hot after all these years. Geez - am I sounding like a horndog drooling over all of these actresses? Hopefully Jodie Foster isn't there - I may lose my shit if I see her (especially if she's wearing glasses).

9:18PM
If I ever read/see any of the Twilight Saga please put me out to pasture. Goody - Horror Movie clips! I was just thinking it had been awhile since I'd seen Rosemary's Baby. I'll give them props for the 3 seconds of silent move clips *rolls eyes* Btw - did you know that Hitchcock never won an Oscar? Crimes against humanity I tell ya.

9:27PM
I hope the Hurt Locker and Precious shuts Avatar out of the big awards - just to see the look on James Cameron's face.

9:33PM
OOOH - V is back! Sorry - that was a total nerd moment.

9:37PM
Dead Reel! Let's see how many times I say "He/She's Dead?!" I say three.

9:41PM
Hmmm...none. Really could have done without James Taylor crooning.

9:45PM
YES! Interpretive Dance Number FTW! The Oscar Gods have heard my prayers! It excels in its schmaltz and tackiness - LOVE IT. Don't get me wrong, they're all very talented dancers - the whole thing is just deliciously ridiculous.

10:05PM
Film editing - my favorite part of filmmaking. Maybe one day I'll get back to it *sigh*

10:14PM
Pedro and Quentin are so cute together. Again, why wasn't Almodovar nominated? Seems like a slap in the face to have him be the presenter for Foreign Language Film.

10:19PM
Of course it's easy to be the highest grossing movie of all time when tickets are $10+ apiece and you can show your film on over 3,000 screens at one time. Do you know what the highest grossing movie is adjusted for inflation? Gone With The Wind. Star Wars is in second (yay!). Avatar? 14th. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Cameron.

10:32PM
Last one - Kate Winslet is hot. Jeff "Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude" Bridges winning is not a surprise. Morgan Freeman tearing up a bit in the intro was touching though.

10:40PM
OMG Oprah's in the building!

10:48PM
Sandra Bullock wins. Bullshit. Puts her in the Julia Roberts category for most overrated actress. Hope it looks good next to your Razzie Sandy. At least her speech is mildly amusing. Ok - her tribute to her mom was nice - damn her for making me like her!

10:55PM
YES! Thank you Academy for finally recognizing a woman director. You're only decades too late misogynistic assholes! Random trivia: Kathryn Bigelow directed Point Break - don't ask me how I know that.

10:58PM
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! EAT IT CAMERON! Kathryn Bigelow looks like she is going to faint - there's a person who was not expecting this.

Well I got 14 out of 24 correct. Considering I hadn't seen any of the contenders, that's a pretty good ratio methinks. Shit, I'm going to be tired at work in the morning - thank god for coffee.

That's All Folks!

1 comment:

  1. I only saw bits and pieces of the show. Outside of the Best Animated Short category, I didn't see any of the nominees this year. (And my favorite one lost at that!) Mostly I was trying to catch the dead reel. Like you, I was kind of surprised not to be surprised.

    I missed the dead Grimace dress. I'll have to Google that. The scariest thing I saw was Sarah Jessica Parker's hair.

    ReplyDelete