Sunday, March 14, 2010

Games 67 & 68 - Mel gives you two crappy game recaps for the price of one.

You know, I had a pretty good and productive weekend with exception of these games. Anyway.

Flyers 3, Hawks 2

Hawks play an aggressive game with plenty of shots and Huet looks confident and in position. Hawks jump out to a 2-1 lead. They're on their game. For 57 minutes. Then the D loses its shit and leaves Huet out to dry, the winning goal by the Flyers coming with 2 seconds left. Game over.

Capitals 4, Hawks 3 (OT)

Hawks come out to a 3-0 lead after 2 periods. Asshat Ovie takes out Soupy but gets a game misconduct. Mel misses all three goals due to brunch. Niemi looks awesome. Third period rolls around, Hawks take dumb penalties, D shits the bed again, leaves Niemi out to dry, Craps tie in regulation. Coach Q looks like he picked his lines out of a hat for OT, it bites him in the butt, Game Over.

I won't waste any more of my time recapping these games - they sucked, it's depressing and it reminds me too much of countless Cubs games. I will make a few points.

  • How can this be the same team that came back five goals down to Calgary early in the season? We get a lead now and the other team scores one and it's like everyone gives up. Someone on this team needs to step up and carry this team. Not necessarily by scoring, but by being a leader - a sparkplug. Something. Toews? Madden? Keith? Bueller? The team seems tired, uninterested and confused lately. Get It Together.
  • Rumors are rampant that Campbell is done for the year. I'll believe it when I hear it from someone I trust, but nonetheless we'll be without him for awhile. They scratched Johnsson today and Sopel is banged up as well. I don't know who they'll call up from the Hogs - at least Hendry has had enough playing time this year to step in easily. If Campbell is indeed done, it is a serious blow. I'm not a huge fan, but we need his speed and offensive skill.
  • Speaking of which, can I just say what a piece of shit Alex Ovechkin is? You'll get no argument from me that he is one of the most talented, electrifying players in the game today. But doesn't anyone else this year have *three* game misconducts? Watch - he'll get a slap on the wrist because of who he is, meanwhile his reckless, careless play possibly put an important piece of our team on the shelf. I am not a vengeful person but I really hope someone, anyone kicks his ass old-school retaliation style. It's the only way this jackass will learn that all the talent in the world doesn't give you carte-blanche to take people out as you please.
  • Seabrook - horrible. Needs to be scratched. Kane - looks like he is scared to shoot the puck and his two way game has been nonexistent. Hossa - day to day. These are three guys who need to be on their game if we have any chance of hoisting anything other than golf clubs in June.
These issues can all be a distant memory in a few weeks. But for the first time I am worried. I worry about the psyche of this team. I am worried about the mounting injuries. I am worried that Coach Q is starting to lose his shit. But hey, the goalies are playing well!

2 comments:

  1. I heard one moron today say that Campbell's injury was "an unfortunate side effect of Ovechkin playing with the joy and exuberance of a child."

    I don't know about exuberant, but you could definitely call it childish. I suggest that Colin Campbell be removed and immediately replaced with Supernanny. She wouldn't put up with this shit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diarrhea and vomiting is an "unfortunate side effect." Which is something I hope Ovechkin experiences during his two game "vacation."

    What is more aggravating are the folks blaming Campbell for losing an edge. WTF? I'd like to see them stay on their feet as a 200+ Russian toothless missing link cross checks their ass into the boards.

    ReplyDelete