Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mel's Oscar Predictions

I used to be really into the Oscars - predictions, trying to see all the nominated films, etc. I haven't recently - mostly because the films I think really deserve to win rarely do. NPR has an interesting article regarding this fact - look at the Best Picture winners 10-20 years after their win to really judge their worthiness. Secondly, I don't go to the movies nearly as much as I used to. Part of it is because it seems there aren't as many films I would be willing to pay $10/ticket for - maybe I'm just getting too picky in my old age. Also, I do love sci-fi/blockbuster type movies but Amy abhors them. So I either have to go by myself (which I'm ok with) or find someone to go with.

So, I'll probably watch the ceremonies on and off tonight, but I used to be pretty good at this prediction thing, so away we go:

For the record, I've only seen the following nominated films: Star Trek, Up and Harry Potter - Jesus, I really didn't see anything last year. There were several other nominated films I wanted to see - one of them was not Avatar. It's the kind of movie you'd think I'd want to see, but James Cameron has just irked me since Titanic. Mind you Aliens and the first two Terminator films are some of my favorite popcorn movies. Besides those blue people looked way too creepy to view in 3D.

Visual Effects: Avatar (duh)
Original Song: "The Weary Kind" from Crazy Heart
Original Score: Avatar (this category hasn't been the same since they stopped doing the interpretive dance numbers to each nominated score)
Makeup: Star Trek
Sound Mixing: Hurt Locker
Sound Editing: Avatar
Film Editing: Hurt Locker
Costume Design: The Young Victoria (the Academy loves those period pieces)
Art Direction: Avatar
Cinematography: Avatar
Short Film Live Action: Miracle Fish
Animated Short: A Matter of Loaf and Death (I didn't know there was a new Wallace and Gromit short - I'll have to rent it)
Foreign Language Film: The White Ribbon (why wasn't Almodovar's Los Abrazors Rotos nominated - it was an excellent film)
Documentary Feature: Food Inc.
Documentary Short: The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant
Animated Feature: Up

And now the biggies:

Adapted Screenplay: Up In The Air
Original Screenplay: Inglourious Basterds
Director: Kathryn Bigelow (for fuck's sake - let a woman win for once!)
Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique
Supporting Actor: Christoph Walz
Actress: Sandra Bullock (personally I don't think she could act her way out of a paper bag. I hope Gabourey Sidibe wins to show folks you don't have to be anorexic and white to be beautiful)
Actor: Jeff Bridges (go Dude!)
Best Picture: Avatar (if Cameron gives a "King of the World" speech again I'm going to throw something at the TV. I think Hurt Locker would have won if not for the recent controversy with the producer)

I'm usually good at getting at least 50% correct so we'll see how this goes. I'll try to jot down some comments for a snarky post later, but we'll see how I feel later. I still have to write a recap of this afternoon's (morning?) Hawks game - but that is going to be depressing so perhaps I'll wait until tomorrow.

Happy Viewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment