Saturday, March 6, 2010

Game 64: Hawks 6, Canucks 3 - Mel sacrifices $8 to the cause

If I had to come up with a description for Wednesday's crowd @ the UC, it would have been "pissed off sarcastically pleased humans." For last night's game, I would say the crowd was full of "drunkingly delirious speed bunnies on crack." See what a rivalry and a absolute shitstorm of a game can do to a fanbase's sanity?

In any case, this was probably the most anticipated home game in quite awhile - it's to be a followed by a game versus the Scum tomorrow and the Caps are coming in for our only (regular) season meeting this year next weekend. So, it's a good week to be a Hawks fan. The fervor was only heightened by Kesler's "coward" comments toward Andrew Ladd after Ladd punched him like the little bitch that he is last game. Of course prior to the game Kesler tries to come off as if the media twisted his words. What a pus.

Can a game start off any better than 12 PIM 37 seconds in? Ladd and Kesler decided just to get it over with and go at each other, followed by more pleasantries before they could get the ensuing faceoff dropped. In the end, the Hawks had a 5 on 3, with Amy laughing as she had never seen a penalty box as full as the Canucks' - the NHL guy in the box had to sit on the floor. The Hawks didn't score on the two man advantage, which is par for the course this season. Shortly thereafter the Hawks scored on a softy given up by Luongo by - wait for it - Andrew Ladd. I love good karma.

From that point forward the Hawks put forth the kind of period I don't think I can recall in recent months. After killing off a Canucks two man advantage, (there were 30 PIM in the first), scores from Keith and Brouwer came within 30 seconds of one another, with Kesler (BOOOOOOO) scoring to make it 3-1. Versteeg killed any Canuck momentum with a highlight reel goal a minute later, and Jordan Hendry got his first of the year in the final minute in another beaut. With each Hawks goal the "Luuuuuuuuu" chant got louder and louder (I really wish I had tissues to chuck on the ice) and at the end of the period Bobby Lou responded with an attempt to break his stick on the bench - that was the last we saw of his greasy haired self. I wish I could say I felt bad for him - I did not. I don't care that it makes me a bitch that I enjoyed it immensely and wish they would have kept him in for further humiliation.

The second and third periods lacked the intensity of the first. I guess with a comfortable lead and with Luongo consoling himself on the bench (I mistyped "bitch" here initially - haaaaa), there wasn't a need for the Hawks to go crazy (although I wouldn't have minded). Hossa got his 19th of the season in the second, sandwiched between Canucks scores in the second and third. The remaining play still was a tad chippy with an Eager/Glass scrap in the second. I was hoping for some more fisticuffs toward the end of the game, but I guess Vancouver wanted to escape with their tails between their legs, and the Hawks were too smart to risk injury. All in all a great game - probably the best game for the Hawks since the win over Detroit in January. Speaking of which, why in god's name is tomorrow's start time at 11:30 CST? I don't know if my stomach can handle Pierre that early in the day.

The $8 I allude to in the title is my adult beverage I knocked over at some point whilst jumping up for one of the five goals in the first. Luckily I had consumed the majority of it, but Amy was pissed because it got all over her bag. I told her I would clean it for her. Hey, if that's what it takes for a win, I'll douse myself in booze every game!

This is the 10th game in a row I have attended where the Hawks have won. The two Canucks games I have attended Bobby Lou got torched in both. Hey, Rocky - give me tickets to all playoff games - we can hoist the Cup in June!

No comments:

Post a Comment